There's a long and tedious process behind understanding how to improve search engine ranking on Google. But if you're looking for a head start, this article is perfect for you! Keep reading and find out three quick SEO hacks you can do to improve your search rankings right now!
In this article:
- Fix up Those Broken Links
- Add and Optimise Your Images
- Localise Your Content
How to Improve Search Engine Ranking on Google With These 3 Simple Fixes!
1. Fix up Those Broken Links
Before we go into how fixing broken links can help you improve your search engine ranking, here's a quick intro to the three different types of hyperlinks:
- Internal links are those that lead visitors to other pages within your website
- External links are those that lead visitors to a third-party webpage related to your own
- Backlinks are links on third-party webpages that lead to your website
Having a good number of internal, external, and backlinks on your website does two things.
For one, they help boost traffic on your website. As your website garners more visits, it's able to establish authority among other pages in your industry. This convinces Google to rank you higher on search listings.
You get these benefits when the links themselves are live, meaning they lead to an actual page. The opposite happens when the links are broken—they lead to a site that gives you a 404 Error. When Google sees a lot of broken links, it'll de-prioritise your webpage.
To get around this, make sure you check the links you include in your webpages. Run your internal, external, and backlinks through free tools like BrokenLinkChecker or Dr Link Checker before publishing your content.
You may also like: SEO Strategies for 2020
2. Add and Optimise Your Images
Adding images to your webpages is a great way to keep your visitors engaged. You can even use pictures as a way to break massive walls of text in some of your long-form content.
The thing with adding images to your website is they can bog down your website's speed. With that said, you must optimise every image you upload on your site.
Here are things you can do to optimise the images on your webpages:
- Use descriptive words when naming your image files (use Dalmatian Puppy.jpg is better than DMCI_001.jpg)
- Use simple terms when writing alt text for your images (<img src="Dalmatian Puppy.jpg" alt="Dalmatian puppy sleeping">)
- Compress images with large file sizes, so they don't take more than 3 seconds to load on your webpage
3. Localise Your Content
A growing number of searches on Google are geared towards local content. More and more people are, for example, asking search engines for "Italian restaurants near me" or "blog writing services Australia."
If you want to increase the chances of your business showing up as a relevant local search listing, you have to start localising your content.
You can optimise your content for local search by doing these things:
- Update your business details on Google My Business
- Add location-based keywords to your SEO and content strategy
- Register your business in your city's local business listings
- Ask clients to write reviews about your business
Learning how to improve your search engine ranking on Google entails a lot of hard work. But with the three simple hacks above, you can get a head start on optimising your pages for search. Don't hesitate to consult professional search engine optimisation services. This way, you'll be able to maximise your online presence and attract high-quality organic traffic to your page!
Do you want to see your company website on page 1 of Google? Connect with us, and let's talk about the best SEO strategy for your business today!